I was knitting my little fingers to the bone on the Ellybob Cardigan when I came upon some number issues in the pattern. I wrote to the author (Marie Mickiewicz) and it turns out that I missed two stitches in the armpits, but the final count that was printed in the pattern was still incorrect. It had 149 stitches written at that point, but should have had 154.

Well, something was still nagging at me, so I went ahead and added up the increases for the rest of the cardigan, and the numbers definitely didn’t match what was written in the pattern. I wrote her back. She came out with an updated version of the pattern within about an hour and a half. That’s pretty freaking awesome. I know I could have probably figured it out, but it’s so nice to just have the numbers written down to be able to check yourself (before you wreck yourself).

One more thing that throws me about the pattern is that the chart says it should be read from top to bottom, left to right. I will just turn them upside down to make them make sense for my brain, because I’m used to reading right to left, bottom to top for fair isle charts. It isn’t mentioned in the pattern, but since this is back and forth fair isle, rather than in the round, it will be necessary to read the charts from right to left on the purled rows (or left to right if you’re turning them upside down).

The pattern is adorable. I’m really happy about Marie’s quick response and fixes. I’ve made pattern errors myself when writing things. I think I made 3 different errors on the heel flap for EarlybirdΒ even though I made little test knit heel flaps for each size. Mistakes happen, but it’s wonderful when they’re fixed and your brain can go “Ahhhhhhhhh” again.

Back to knitting.

%d bloggers like this: