I finished Z’s Abate with probably 7 yards to spare. I ended up adding about 3/4″ to the body and made the rest as the pattern specified. It fits perfectly with the cuffs rolled back and will probably fit next year as well. Love it!
The pattern is Abate by Alicia Plummer. The yarn is Cascade 220 Superwash (am I ever not knitting Cascade yarns?) in Lilac. This time I made the 2T size.
Yep, she’s playing with scissors in these pictures. She was very interested in helping me cut the extra pieces of yarn when I was weaving in the ends. I think it’s good practice for her next classroom.
I’m so relieved that this sweater fits and that I had enough yarn to make it exactly as I wanted.
Um, speaking of Cascade yarns…I may have slipped and bought a couple more sweater quantities of some discontinued colors from WEBS. The purplish one is Goseille and the green one is Evergreen. The purple is even more vibrant and beautiful than I expected. The green will probably become something for Matt and I’ll definitely keep the Goseille for myself.
I’m working on the second Abate for this month, this time in the 2T size like a sane person might make for my 2T child. I described the results of the first Abate in my last post, but suffice it to say I decided to make the 4T size and it was down to her knees and needed the sleeves to be rolled twice. It will fit someday, and could even be worn if really necessary, but since I had a couple of skeins of Cascade 220 Superwash in Iris on hand, I decided to go ahead and make a 2T size that would fit her right now.
As for that one, I wouldn’t mind adding 1/2-1″ to the length on the body. This is my progress with one ball of yarn, and I think I could get away with at least a 1/2 inch. I’m feeling daring. At worst I can add some contrast cuffs or collar or something if I run out.
Want to see how the first Abate turned out? I bribed her with Curious George to get the sweater on her and get a pic. It doesn’t really show off the extensive length here, but you can see the wide and rolled sleeves. Her pink sweater will have to wait a year or so to get some serious wear, but it’s good to be prepared, right? I’m on track to have a finished Paloma and two finished Abates this month for my NaKniSweMo 2014 goals. As soon as those are finished I’ve promised Matt that I’ll cast on an Ease (the adult version of Abate) for him and make it masculine.
I finished the Monkeys I’ve been working on out of the Republic of Wool yarn in Artificial Light. I did these toe up and did a heel flap. You can see the crazy way the striping happened on the heel here: I finished these a couple of days ago and I’ve been plugging away at Z’s sweater as well.
NaKniSweMo is just around the corner! EEEK! I still haven’t really made a decision about what I’m making yet. Must brainstorm a bit more.
I’m very happy to be releasing a new pattern today! It’s called Articulation (thank you, Andrea for your suggestion on this post). I started the knitting at the end of July and finished at the beginning of September. The knitting is the most fun process for me, of course. The writing, correcting, editing, and re-editing part is less fun. I had the help of a wonderful tech editor, Eleanor Dixon, and with her assistance I finally got myself to the finish line.Matt chose the color for this sweater. It’s far more neutral than I would have chosen on my own, but it really grew on me as the project developed. The yarn is Cascade Ecological Wool in the color Antique. I wanted to use an Aran weight yarn to help make the sweater knitting speedy.
I’m such a lover of shawl collars. I felt like this sweater had to have one, so I built that into the design. If you want to learn more about the pattern, see the pattern page on Ravelry or you can .
Ok, ok. I’m trying to be cool about this. I finished this Like Sleeves tunic several weeks ago and so far the few attempts to put it on Z for a picture have been met with staunch refusal. I still have hope. We haven’t had many cold days, so I have only tried a few times, and I don’t want to push her. Maybe I should start doing intarsia monkeys or elephants or bunnies on all her knitted clothes… She loves those animals.
The pattern is called Like Sleeves and I used Cascade 220 Superwash in Summer Sky. I made the 3-4 T size so she could wear it for a few years. That gives me plenty of time to convince her of its warm worthiness. I added a couple of inches length like I always do with her tops.
She’s still not wearing this little cardigan, which kind of breaks my heart because fits perfectly (in the 30 second try-ons I’ve been successful with) and there have been several great occasions for her to wear it. As soon as we get it on her she rips it right off. On the other hand, she loooooves this sweater and never fusses about this one either, so I’m hoping she can be coaxed into Like Sleeves one of these days. It seems she prefers pullovers to cardigans. If it can be unbuttoned, it can be ripped off. She’s also going through a phase where she hates to get dressed and undressed, so I’ll try my best to be patient until that passes. Sigh.