I’m pretty thrilled with my SSKAL 2014 project, Coda. The sweater is a lovely Brooklyn Tweed pattern, by the talented Olga Buraya-Kefelian. The yarn is Cascade 220 (one of my all time favorite workhorse wool yarns) in Summer Sky, an apt name for a summer sweater project. It’s been crazy stinkin’ hot here in Arkansas, but surprisingly the weather was in the low to mid 60’s for part of the day yesterday and today, and I got to actually wear this for a few hours yesterday. Amazingly good timing to finish. I adore this pattern. It has impeccable little details, like tubular cast ons and bind offs that make it look really polished. It’s reversible, which is very cool.
I sort of wish I had made the smaller size, at least somehow in the top piece, because the yoked side (with the curved arch) seems to have more material than necessary at the top and can look a bit balloonish if I don’t keep my shoulders back. Maybe I can just think of it as extra incentive to work on my posture. This was a very fun and engaging knit. I’d put it at a 3.5 out of 5 skill-level wise. There are lots of areas of stockinette where you can tune out and relax a bit, but the cables pull you back in and keep you on your toes, as well as the raglan and yoke shaping for the top piece. Luckily, the pattern included row by row instructions for some of the trickier parts, so you can follow along with a row counter easily. I can’t wait for more chilly weather to wear this!
If some knitting can be done in pairs, I usually do so. I always knit socks in pairs, and I almost always do the same for sleeves. This time I changed my mind. The sleeves are simple enough and could be done two at a time, but I have several projects going where I’m pulling from both ends of a wound ball and I get tired of untwisting it, so I decided to just do these one at a time and avoid that on this project. Much of the raglan/yoke shaping is tracked row by row in the pattern, so it will be easy to keep things identical.
This sweater is making me long for colder weather.
Coda has captured my attention for quite a few evenings this week. It’s my SSKAL14 project this year, and it’s delightful to knit. It was smooth sailing through the stockinette. I threw in an extra waist decrease and knit an extra 3/4″ length for my 37″ bust size. Then I got to the cables and really fell in love. Especially when the cables turn into an arch with short rows. I just want to keep going and going and finish the section. I will be a little sad when they’re over. This is definitely a knit where I’m soaking up lots of pleasure from the process. I highly recommend the pattern.
The yarn came Monday afternoon! Now I can turn this:
into this for this year’s Summer Sweater KAL. The yarn is Cascade 220 in Summer Sky heather, one of the most truly gorgeous yarns my eyes have beheld. Mmmm.
Though the unstretched ribbing looks like a sweater fit for a child, it does indeed fit over my hips. I tested it just to be sure. I’m making the 37″ size and I might add a tad more waist shaping than called for in the pattern, but it looks like it will be an interesting part of the journey when I get to the top, and in the meantime, the subtle heathered blues will enchant me. The KAL started a week ago, so I’d better get going! I have a couple of secret projects that may slow me down, but I’ll make time for the beautiful Coda.
It’s been a glorious Sunday. This morning I got to have breakfast with two treasured friends, then I saw Maleficent and finished these socks in the theater: The yarn is Julianna”s Lucky Star Sock Yarn in Truly Outrageous. It has a hint of sparkle, but isn’t over the top with it.
I lucked out with the self-striping and my heel flap. The stripes were barely disturbed. Even though I know an afterthought heel would always allow uninterrupted self-striping, I just love the feel of a heel flap.
They’re just another pair of toe-up two-at-a-time socks done on magic loop with a heel flap. That’s my go-to vanilla sock format. I have enough left to make Z some socks, though I think I’m going to start making her socks as tube socks (no heels) so she can grow into them for a longer time. I’ll add this to the Operation Sock Drawer list.
I also got some super bright Regia Fluormania sock yarn from my LYS last week. I can’t wait to make socks out of this!! It’s colorway 7188. Happy Sunday!
Driftwood Tee, my second TTTKAL project is finished! This was a quick and easy knit. I think I might have done a few too many rows on the eyelets, as I spaced out a bit on the number of rows, but I made the front and back match closely enough that I don’t mind or notice if it differs from the pattern. This rolling of the garter stitch NEVER stops happening with the sleeves. I don’t know if it would help to make it wider. I think the most effective solution would be to pick up at the edge of the sleeves after the shoulders are seamed and make garter rows at that point. This wasn’t on my radar when I wore this top to brunch yesterday, but as I was taking photos today it was on my mind constantly since I had to adjust it over and over. I did a wet block for this top, so I didn’t think it would be a problem, but it continues to roll.
The yarn is Manos Serena in Boysenberry. I used about 590 yards for the top. I ended up knitting to 13.5 inches before increasing for the sleeve. I did add some waist shaping, decreasing 8 total stitches on the front, and then again on the back, on either side of the 28 center stitches so the shaping wouldn’t interfere with the eyelets. I would consider making another one of these sometime, probably altering the sleeve edging. I think I will really enjoy wearing this top as work or casual attire.