I’ve made some continued progress on the knitting of Vitamin D. I finished the sleeves, which the pattern instructs to finish before doing the body. It’s nice to have them done, and I now know if I have a little extra yarn I can tack on an extra inch like I’d like, rather than risking shorter sleeves. This has been sweet relief from any knits that require thinking. I’m in the middle of two designs. Well, really it’s an adult design and a mini version, but that’s where the thinking part comes in. I have the pattern written for the adult version, and most of it mapped out for the mini version. With some input from my helpful tech editor I’m whipping it into shape, but it requires so much thinking that it feels like serious homework at this point, so I’ve been burying myself in simpler things, like soothing Vitamin D.
When I was having a rough day last week I cast on a Vitamin D. There’s nothing like casting on a new project as a pick-me-up. I’m making about a 35″ chest size. Since the yarn I wanted to use came out nicely at a 22 sts and 28 rows over 4 inches, I decided to just cast on the XS size because using those numbers at my altered gauge got me the closest to the size I want with the bonus of doing no additional math. That’s my favorite way to alter a sweater pattern size.
The yarn is Louisa Harding Aimee in the color Cupid. It was deeply discounted recently at my LYS and I bought the rest of it. It is 90% cotton and 10% cashmere, so it has a very nice hand, but it’s also going to work well for several seasons.
I’ve been eyeing the Vitamin D pattern for a long time, so it was time to just cast one on. I had originally planned to make a 3/4 sleeve Gemini pullover with this yarn, but I changed my mind as I lusted after swingy open cardigan patterns all over Ravelry. This isn’t a color I wear a lot of, but it makes me happy and I think it will work with several tanks and dresses I have.
Z’s Like Sleeves tunic is finished and needs blocking. It’s huge, but she could wear it this year. It remains to be seen whether or not I’ll be able to get it on her to try on. She’s been a little knit-opposed lately. I’ll probably have to start slapping intarsia bunnies all over sweaters to get her excited about them again.
I finished these a few days ago and felt like I should get them up on the blog before I hand them off to my friend, Susan. The pattern is Hermione’s Everyday Socks, a free and fairly ubiquitous sock favorite on Ravelry. It’s an easy pattern repeat that works well with variegated sock yarn. The yarn is Pagewood Farms Chugiak in Army Girl. It reminds me of fall apples. I did it toe-up with a heel flap, rather than top-down as the pattern specifies.
These are hasty kid-just-went-down-for-a-nap photos, so you can see the line from the hand knit socks I was wearing all morning above the cuff of these. I’ve got a few other projects hanging out on the needles. One is a secret birthday project, one is Linum Tee (which I can’t seem to make myself want to finish though I am maybe 2 inches from doing so), then I have Simple Skyp socks, a pair of Regia Flourmania socks that I haven’t photographed yet, and a Like Sleeves for Kids. I’m thinking of casting on a Vitamin D any second, because it seems like a great summer to fall transition piece.
My SSKAL 2014 Coda is on the blocking board and almost ready for some final finished pics, but in the meantime, I decided to cast on something for Z. I happened to have a few skeins of Cascade 220 superwash in the same color as my Coda so I decided I should make her a little fall garment. It’s called Like Sleeves for kids and I think it will be a lovely garment for transitioning as a fall, winter, and maybe even spring layer. I’m making the size 3-4, which might be a little big, but I have enough yarn for that size and it can work as an oversized tunic/dress for awhile. That’s my favorite part about knitted tunics and dresses.
I love this color, Summer Sky, and am thrilled to launch into another project with it. I hope to get Coda pics up in the next few days and shortly after that reveal the finished secret sweater design I’ve been working on for Matt. I feel a round of finished objects coming on.
I’ve been working on a secret project for awhile now. It’s a large garment, so it’s been eating up some of my knitting time. I’m working on a men’s sweater design. Naturally, Matt was putting in orders for fall and winter sweaters and I really wanted to come up with a new design, so it worked out well. I’m nearing the finish and the pattern has been sent to the tech editor, so I feel like I can make some mention of it now.It’s an Aran weight men’s pullover with some cable details. I hope to have the pattern released by mid-late September.
If some knitting can be done in pairs, I usually do so. I always knit socks in pairs, and I almost always do the same for sleeves. This time I changed my mind. The sleeves are simple enough and could be done two at a time, but I have several projects going where I’m pulling from both ends of a wound ball and I get tired of untwisting it, so I decided to just do these one at a time and avoid that on this project. Much of the raglan/yoke shaping is tracked row by row in the pattern, so it will be easy to keep things identical.
Coda has captured my attention for quite a few evenings this week. It’s my SSKAL14 project this year, and it’s delightful to knit. It was smooth sailing through the stockinette. I threw in an extra waist decrease and knit an extra 3/4″ length for my 37″ bust size. Then I got to the cables and really fell in love. Especially when the cables turn into an arch with short rows. I just want to keep going and going and finish the section. I will be a little sad when they’re over. This is definitely a knit where I’m soaking up lots of pleasure from the process. I highly recommend the pattern.