I love when I can make matchy-matchy mother-daughter knits. Sometimes I do this by just using the same yarn for our projects like this one and this one. And sometimes I want to make us the very same thing in the same yarn. That’s what I did here with some socks: The yarn is the ONLine Supersocke Emotion III in color 1217 that I went a little crazy for awhile back. I used 73% of the skeing (or about 335 yards) for my socks, then stopped because I wanted to use some for socks for Z. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get hers as tall as I wanted with the yarn I had left, so I added a pink cuff with the Laines do Nord Baby Milk in Light Pink that I just used for Little Sister’s Dress. I think it worked out nicely and these socks are sooooooft.
They’re so cute when they’re miniature. Z is excited because they have purple in them, since she proclaims often that purple is “my favorite.” She even tells us that her lovely blue eyes are purple. The other day she was disappointed because blueberries were not purple and I helped her find compromise by making a purple smoothie with the blueberries for her. Toddlers are wacky little people.
Z isn’t two until the 31st, but today I got the feeling that this top must be knit, so I cast it on. I bought this Jo Sharp Soho Summer DK cotton yarn last summer at my LYS last summer deeply discounted, and I meant to do this sooner, but you know…time escapes me! I almost forgot about the yarn completely until I had to rearrange my stash to stuff in some new acquisitions. Then I saw it and I knew it had to be a top right now or it definitely wouldn’t be enough yarn for a larger size. What am I making? A mini Gemini top. I cast on 88 stitches and worked back and forth. I knew I would have to leave some kind of slit in the back that could be buttoned to make sure her noggin could fit through the space. I used a size 4 needle and worked the lace pattern for 10 rows only. After that I increased on all sections on the RS and only the body sections on the WS till I had 38 sts on each sleeve section. Then I stopped increasing on the sleeve and increased on the body sections, from that point on the RS only. I have 50 sts for the front and 50 for the back and 38 for each sleeve. That puts the chest size around 22″. I knit until the armhole depth was about 3.75″. So far this has been a super quick project. I will likely mirror the one I made and leave the sleeves with a bare stockinette edge. This is one of my favorite tops to wear, so I’m very excited for Z to have one too!