Last weekend I was hanging out in my latest Breezy, hiding behind “the wings” and being playful at the dinner table. Zooey commented that she would like a “wing sweater” and of course I had to jump at the chance to make her one. She said she wanted purple so I pulled out some Regia in this vivid Violett color. I love this color and have 920 yards. I thought it would be perfect and luckily, so did she. I originally got this on vacation in Kansas City and thought back then (a couple of years ago) that it would be lovely for a little dress or something for Z.
I’m making the 4T size. She was so excited and cooperative that I was able to take measurements on the spot! I will add a little length (an inch or two) to the body, and maybe a half inch to an inch to the sleeves. Otherwise the 4T size should be just perfect. I can’t wait to give Zooey her “wings.”
Zooey got some mittens for Christmas from me. She recently lost one of her sparkly rainbow mittens (which were getting a bit small anyway), so it seemed time to wiggle some yarn about and make a new pair. I used leftover Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Mediumweight in KMFBLA for the main color and some Colinette Jitterbug in Paint Box for the cuffs. I made these top down, using this pattern roughly. Making mittens top down has the advantage of being the knitter being able to make them exactly as wide as wished, without a gauge swatch! If you make them both at once (or divide your yarn evenly by weighing it) it also lets you use up every bit of yarn if you’re worried about running low. I knew I was likely to run out of purple or get very close to that, so this was my strategy.
Unbeknownst to me at the time, but I was making my gusset decreases across the palm rather than just in the thumb area. They make more of an arch. I think my mistake might make for more flexible thumb movement and comfortable wear, but I doubt Z will give me the full review to confirm it. So where does the bribery come it? I had to promise Z three chocolate chips to get her to take a photo wearing the mittens. She likes them, but she takes umbrage at having her photograph taken on occasion, so this seemed the quickest way to come to a good compromise.
If I’d had enough yarn I would have made a third mitten, so when one is inevitably lost there is a back up. Alas, I ran out of purple, so that venture will have to wait for the next set of mittens.
I can’t get over blending sock patterns lately to keep socks for Z interesting. These are my Kiddo Kicks blended with the ubiquitous (for a reason) Monkey by Cookie A. Monkeys have an addictive texture that makes you keep wanting to knit just one more repeat. I’m using leftover yarn for these. The green is some Shibui sock, but I don’t remember the color name. The upcoming color is leftover Colinette Jitterbug in Ochre. I had to alter the Monkey pattern chart by ignoring stitches 1 and 16 and eliminating rows 9 and 11 to make it work for the stitch count. To do the Monkey chart I had to have 28 sts on the instep to make the chart work. These will be a little bit bigger than the last pair I made her, but I’m sure they will be fitting by mid to late winter next year. This will make pair 4 out of the 5 (at least) I want her to have for next winter. After culling my stash I found so much great fingering weight leftover yarn that I’m sure I’ll always have some kid socks going in the background.